Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Riding Side By Side




On a beautiful sunny day I had the luck to go out on a ride with JP. 

There were no routes that had to be adhered too. There were no intervals that needed to be done. Only some open road, some nice conversation and a pretty day.

While we were riding we cycled side by side (Unless cars were coming of course.). Bar to bar.  As we rolled along the open country roads to the south of my home it got me thinking. To be able to ride like that can really show the Quality of a person.
There are so many type A personalities constantly pushing the pace. Half wheeling (This happens when a person is always a half a wheel length in front of you. And if you try to pull up even with them. They speed up to keep ahead. And so on and so on, until you both are ramping up speed. Sucking the fun square out of what you were trying to do in the first place. Can you tell I'm a little sensitive about it? Yeah, me either.) you to prove a point or measure dicks or whatever the hell it is when people think its a competition.

No. This wasn't one of those times.

We just rode our bicycles.

We conversed about all manner of things. The last club ride. New cars. The best beer. Equipment. Whatever...

I think cycling side by side is a lost art form. People forget its significance. The art of conversation (Especially since cyclists tend to be anti-social.). I met my SSHW that way and she has been the greatest thing in my life. To be able to share an experience while doing something that you both love doing makes it all the more rich.  It's hard to put your finger on it. Or put into words. But it's there and you both know it.

Its just awesome.

Thanks for reminding me JP.

Rubber side down,

Big E

1 comment:

  1. Nice...Im glad you two were able to partake in the lost art; I only wish I too could have been there.

    ReplyDelete