Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day


I know most every blog and Facebook post and tweet out there today is about Valentine's Day.  And while I don't normally conform to such social pressure (I'm a contrarian that way.) I am feeling in a mushy mood.
In part because I met the love of my life while cycling and as I've stated before I also love to ride my bike.


File:St-Valentine-Kneeling-In-Supplication.jpg

So that's a lot of love not to post at least a little something in commemoration of the holiday of cheap stuffed toys and candy(And something about of a Catholic saint who lost his head.).


Isn't she pretty!?

My beautiful wife and I originally met when I had decided to make a change in my life.

I was fat, out of shape and unhappy.  We both were still married to other people at the time. And I can honestly say the thought of my being with her never crossed my mind.  She was just fun Hollie who I enjoyed jabbering with from time to time on a ride.

Then my world started to fall down around my ears...

My marriage was failing and I felt like a failure.

Cycling was the only real bright spot in my life.  I could go out and focus on nothing but the task at hand for an hour or two and not worry. It was blissful in its simplicity.

Effort in = happiness out.

And as I worked through the divorce and starting a new chapter in my life I discovered that Hollie was going through the same thing. Unbeknownst to me or anyone else really.

When I discovered she was in the same boat, the way I looked at her changed. I saw this beautiful woman that if I had the stones I was going to ask out on a date.

I asked a mutual friend what he thought about me asking her out and he said that I should absolutely do it. And that he thought she was totally into me. Well that was all the encouragement I needed.

So I took the plunge.

At the bike shop (Of course...) I asked it if she would like to go out on a date with me. And I'll never forget her response, "I'd love to!"

That was the best question I've ever asked. I'm sure it's the best question I'll ever ask. Along with the best response...

We instantly clicked. And I would say that within 3 months I knew she was the one for me. (Hot chocolate, bacon and pancakes are the way to a man's heart. In case you were wondering...)

But we had both been wrong in the past. So we dated for a couple of years (I have this theory that you're going to see most every aspect of a someones personality with in that amount of time.). And on a beautiful bike ride (Of course.) at the Oregon coast I asked her to be my wife.


This is where the deed was done.

I'm not saying that it's always been farting rainbows and unicorns. But even at the worst of times. It has been better with her by my side.

I love you Hollie.

Happy Valentine's day.


Rubber side down,

Big E

1 comment:

  1. I do believe this is your best blog post! All true and I second every statement....Who knew it could all start on a simple bike ride? I love you...

    ReplyDelete