Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You Never Know What You're Gonna Get


That statement is as true for Forrest and the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. as it is for weather and bicycle riding.

The weather was surprisingly nice for our monthly team ride. Sure it was a little windy. Sure it spit on us a little. But all said and told it was a pretty good day to be out on two wheels.

We were scheduled to meet down at the Bike Peddler (One of our sponsor LBS) at 9:30 Saturday morning. I was late... Mostly because I headed out the door later then I had intended. But also because I got a flat about half way there (Doh!).

So as I was speeding down to the shop after I had fixed the flat I was already constructing the apology letter in my brain. Fully expecting to round the corner and find them all gone. I was happily surprised to see everyone still milling around.

There weren't too many people there. But considering the miserable weather the day before I wasn't surprised. It was essentially the Cap Velo board plus two others. Which turned out to be just fine.

So after some grovelling, begging for forgiveness and a new spare tube purchased we discussed the route plan. Which of course was changed (I'm beginning to note a pattern.).  Instead of heading out into the flat lands between us and Silverton we opted for a more northerly, then westerly route. Mostly to go spy on the road race that was being held out at Heiser Farms. Which is exactly what we did.

We watched the racers go by once and looked to each other on what to do next. So we headed over to the foothills and vineyards just west of the race. 

It's amazing how well nice scenery can distract you from the pain you inflict upon yourself sometimes. And this was one of those sometimes...

We steadily rode over the rolling hills taking in the views and the conversation with equal enjoyment.

Sure we went up Brush College Rd. (A hill that strikes fear into fatties such as myself.). But the guys were nice enough to wait for me at the top. And sure they asked if I wanted to go up Gibson Rd. (Probably the only other road in near vicinity that strikes just as much fear into said fatty.) too. Which I promptly responded with a one finger salute. But it was still a lovely time. And really, how could you enjoy those wonderful downhills without suffering up the climbs!? That's just crazy talk...

So all things said and told. It was a surprisingly nice day with an equally lovely bike ride to match.

All good (Now if we could just get more members to show up regardless of weather...).

Thanks for reading!

Rubber side down,

Big E

No comments:

Post a Comment