Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The New Year


Well with 2011 having come to a close and 2012 staring us all right in the face. I figured I would do the thing that a lot of people are doing. Review, assess and set new goals.

Well looking back at 2011 I can say there are a couple things I'm proud of.

First, I did the most races I've ever done in one year (26). I know that's not much by a lot of peoples standards. But considering I have a wonderful family, a full time job and a lot of other commitments in my life I think that's a good number. 

Second, I finished all of them. I know that can be put down as lucky (I.E. Even when I crashed I was still able to get up and continue.). But I also think that luck favors the prepared. So I'll take it.

Third, I've never felt stronger on the bike. I still have a long way to go to be able to play with the big boys. But I feel like the depth and breadth of my fitness has continued to expand. So I'm happy about that as well.

And finally, to be able to watch Brison expand his natural abilities and, so far anyway, be enjoying himself tickles me to no end.

It's sort of like turning someone on to a new band or type of music. It pumps me up to see someone else get jazzed by what I love so much too.


So there are the big warm and fuzzies. There are lots of others... Watching teammates and friend's do well. Enjoying the camaraderie and fun of the group and event rides. And above all, getting a chance to ride with the love of my life at least a couple times a week.



Now to look at some of the problems (I hate the PC word "issues", it's not a magazine. It's a problem. Problems can be solved (eventually) so I don't understand peoples tendency to think it's always negative. Anyway...).

I seemed to have done a lot of crashing this year. I know when you race. It's not a matter of if, but when you crash. But I still seemed to be spending an inordinate amount of time on the ground this year. And as odd as it may sound. I don't really like to do it. So I'm not sure what the solution to this dilemma is. All I know is that I don't want to do it anymore. Or at least as little as possible...


Although I was told a possible reason for it that stokes my ego so I'll go with that. Which is that I'm starting to go faster. And as I'm going faster my technical abilities are lagging behind a little. And since that sounds a lot like being to strong instead of clumsy or stupid. I'll take that hypothesis.

What!?  It's my blog, I can think what I want!

Another is weight. I know this is a broken record for a lot of people. But I'm pretty sure hanging on to the group when the little climbers decide to go hard up the hills would really help my chances of a descent finish in a race. I'm no expert or anything... Weight is just a tough one for me.


I know exactly what I need to do to get there. What foods I need to cut out. How much work I need to put in to make it happen. The thing is though that I like to eat. I like to have a beer. And my family likes it a lot better when I'm not grumbling my way around the house like a fussy toddler when I'm hungry.

I know that I can loose 2 pounds per week without a huge change in diet or activity levels. So that's what I'm going to do. I could try to loose more. But that requires no beer. No cheat days. And generally being in a foul mood until the weight is off.

So I guess that's really the first main goal of the new year (Huh, real original isn't it?).

The second is more core work. 


I want to be like J and have a core made of wood.

I did a lot of leg work the last two winters and that's helped immensely. So I'm going to go after my core in the same manner. Who knows, maybe it will keep me from falling as much (I sure hope so.).

The third is to move up to a Cat. 3 this year. I may have enough points accumulated know. I'm really not sure. But if not. That's something I would like to get done. I think I can play with those fellas (Especially in the crits.). And am looking forward to the challenge.

The only thing that really stops me from sending in the request is that I would really like to get a podium finish before then. Maybe that's foolish. It probably is. And I'm not saying I couldn't do it in the Cat 3's. I've just come so close several times but just can't quite seem to seal the deal. Work, work, work...



I hope everyone's New Year is filled with Love, Laughter, and Happiness.

Rubber side down,

Big E

No comments:

Post a Comment