Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Please Sign The Petition Against SOPA And PIPA


Am I stealing or sharing this picture?
 I'm not going to bore you with all the crap that SOPA and PIPA are. You can go here for a fairly good explanation if you are interested.

Bottom line is that it puts rules into play that could potentially make "sharing" pictures, videos, websites and quite a few other bits of material very difficult. Or just plain illegal.

I think protecting intellectual property is justified and probably pretty important. But both of these bills (One from the House, one from Congress.) over step their bounds and create a lot of censorship.  As well as putting the burden not on the government, but on the sites themselves to regulate these new laws.

It points us down a very slippery slope that Lord only knows where it will end up. And I know I don't want to go there.

Half the pictures, 99% of the videos, all the music that I have used on this site could be deemed illegal. Even if I'm not using them for profit. And in some cases, even promoting the media itself.

So please take a minute and sign the petition here.

And if you're feeling really frisky contact our (Oregon) government officials here on Wikipedia's site (If you're outside of Oregon you can look up your own representatives on there as well.).

Thank you.

Rubber side down,

Big E

No comments:

Post a Comment