Thursday, December 16, 2010

Being Hardcore


Being hardcore on a bicycle can mean many different things.  You can be a poorly coordinated commuter like this poor bugger here riding to and from work in the rain. Or you can be a cyclist who rides in the rain in the dark for training (I am usually in this group.) Or there can even be crazy people who ride/race their bikes in the snow and ice .



But on a recent Scotts evening group ride as I looked around and only saw eight hardy souls standing around waiting to get the party started. It occurred to me that we are getting to that point of the year that only the hardcore come out to play. And even though tonight's group will more than likely have quite a few more people on it just because its suppose to be dry. Even on nice days in the winter we're still down the a third of the numbers we see in the summer.
















I know a lot of people look at us as we are riding in or out of town (as well as a lot of summer riders too I'm sure) wondering if we have some sort of mental dysfunction or something. But as I have said before. If you are wearing the right clothes. And if you have the proper bike and lighting set up. Its actually a pretty fun and unique way to look at a world that you've seen a million times before. And I'm almost always glad I did it (there are a few where I just wish I was at home under the covers. But I'm sure that's the way it is for a lot of people). 


There is a real feeling of solidarity with the riders on these groups. We are all like minded in that what ever mother nature throws at us we can (usually) deal with it and still have a great time. I like that. It gives a feeling of belonging to the tribe. A real inner circle of a much larger one.

So the next time you feel like a ride. But then look at the weather report and see some unfavorable news. Before you slump your shoulders and head off to the trainer or the gym. Suck it up. Grab your gear. And come out and join us!













Rubber side down,

Big E

No comments:

Post a Comment