Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Twilight Crit #2

Thomas, Adam and myself went down to Eugene for another round of the Twilight Crit Series last night. It was a lot of fun.

The weather was great! The wind wasn't near as hard as last week and the temperature was in the upper 70's. Really couldn't have asked for better conditions.

As like last week the Eugene teams were out in force. With Life Cycle by far having the largest numbers (I think they had 10 racers). But Paul's, Blue Sky, and Hutch's were all there in multiples.

As we drove down there we discussed some team tactics. And like last week I figured that something with most of those teams represented would maybe be given enough leash to have a go at it. And if that didn't happen we could try for the sprint at the end.

The race started off with several attacks going with in a few laps but none were successful.

I had a go with one other guy at about lap 10 (Out of 25 laps.). But it was obvious they didn't like that and we were reeled back in within 2 laps. Another went on the prime lap which Thomas covered. But unlike last week that wasn't the winning move either.

I always find it interesting what can make up a winning move. Sometimes it can be one guy. And the entire group will hunt them down like a dog until they're caught. And others times a move with 6 strong guys in it. People will look around expecting someone else to do the work. They aren't necessarily trying to be team players either. Its a weird dynamic that I still can't figure out. Anyway...

There was a noticeable change in pace with about 8 laps to go. Two guys were off the front. But not by much and it was pretty obvious that they were going to be caught as soon as the pace picked up for the end. So the group kinda hung them out there to dry for a while.  I must admit I was getting kind of nervous before the catch was made. But I guess I was just being paranoid.

With about 6 laps to go I was stuck on the guy who had won last weeks race like a sucker fish. He had looked cool, calm, and collected all night long (Just like last week.) So I figured he was the guy to mark.

Thomas was near me as well looking strong. He was trying to get into a position to lead me out in the sprint. With about 2 laps to go the speed really started to pick up. Which I think everyone was expecting.

I was doing my best to stay right on the winner from last week. But on the third corner he went to the outside through a window in the group and I couldn't follow. Then Thomas and I got separated.

The previous winner accelerated out of the final corner. And I was boxed in some what. It's one of those situations that I had to "re-start" my sprint. Which only took a second. But in racing, that's all it takes. I passed a half dozen guys on the way to the line. But last weeks winner won again. 

He's good. Someday I'm going to figure out a way to beat him.

So I ended up 5th. Which I'm pretty happy with.

Thomas got 14th. I guess once we got separated he backed off the gas quite a bit. But he did great. Every time I race with Thomas I'm impressed by his ability.

Adam did awesome too. He held on and finished with the field to finish 28th. That's a huge improvement over last week. And I'm sure he'll keep improving with each race.

The average speed was 24.1 mph  for 17 miles. For those of you interested in some numbers.

The next race is this weekend on Sunday here in Salem. It's the Prinlge Creek Circuit Race (Formerly known as the Fariview Circuit Race.). So please come and check out some great local racing! There will be great racing all day long. I believe my race is in the morning.  So if your feeling extra frisky please come out and cheer me and the rest of the Cat. 4/5's on.

Men 4/5

PlNumFirst NameLast NameTeam
15412StephenKocher
24118MatthewErdelt
3T00JamesDuke
44452RandyPaschallLife Cycle Bike Shop
54129EarlHazekampCapitol Velo
6T58ScottFildmanLife Cycle Bike Shop
7T56OkonUdosenata
84263SteveTrosethPacific Power Blue Sky
93047JasonFordPaul's Bicycle Way of Life Cycling Team
104227marklipchickLife Cycle Bike Shop
114029MartinLiskHutch's-Eugene
12T19JinHwangLife Cycle Bike Shop
135227DennisSibilia-Young
144298ThomasMcCain
155272KenRodgersOregon Paddle Sports
164260JeffSakacsiWolf Creek Racing-Kendall Subaru
178019AdamOliver
185200DanMahoneyTeam Oregon presented by Laurelwood Brewing
19T61IanBest
205362ScottMcCannaPacific Power Blue Sky
215085timchristie
224008GuyPolson
23T72RayBourne
24T88JonathanHeritage
257114KristenFauriaLife Cycle Bike Shop
268003AugustFrankLife Cycle Bike Shop
275509RyanGarnerTensegrity PT Cycling
285800AdamBergersonCapitol Velo
295212AlexanderChowLife Cycle Bike Shop
305452ScottRemiroLife Cycle Bike Shop


I'm going to get the video up of Brison's race tonight. Promise. Scout's honor. Until then...

Rubber side down,

Big E

No comments:

Post a Comment